Communications and Strategy Manager
Organizing Families: Three Strategies for Change
Parent Revolution work to ensure that families can use their choices and their voices to ensure that all children in California have access to a great education. Our approach includes our Choice4LA program, community organizing, advocacy and communications.
1. Choice4LA- Organizers provide information and direct support to families so that they can choose, apply for and enroll their children in quality public schools.
2. Community Organizing- Organizers use a variety of settings to help families build their knowledge of the public education system and to build their organizing and advocacy skills.
3. Advocacy and Communications- Parent leaders use their voices to create district and state level changes that will benefit public school students, through advocacy campaigns and by elevating their experiences and perspectives in diverse media.
We have an entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture, setting ambitious goals for all employees and giving them the freedom to creatively meet them with appropriate support and guidance. A successful candidate for a position within our organization will come with an excellent track record and existing skill set as well as a strong desire to work within a progressive, mission-driven, and results-oriented team.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Strategy, the Deputy Director of Communications and Strategy will work closely with Parent Revolution’s senior leadership to support the implementation of the organization’s communications strategy, local and statewide coalition building efforts, and advocacy activities.
Key responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead Parent Revolution’s press and policy issue monitoring, including assembling press clips, monitoring local and state government agendas, and maintaining press lists.
- Research and create internal and external organizational materials including policy briefs, newsletters, fact sheets, and social media content.
- Execute state and local advocacy activities including preparing collateral, creating training materials, overseeing logistics, capturing and creating photo and video content, and working with organizers in the field on parent leadership development.
- Maintain calendar and provide logistical assistance for local events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Related experience and skills:
- Two to three years of experience working within education advocacy, government, issue or electoral campaigns, organized labor, or other advocacy work.
- Demonstrated ability producing collateral, conducting research, and generating social media content.
- Commitment to working with low-income communities of color.
- Degree in public policy or public administration, or experience working on campaigns a plus but not required.
- Must speak and write fluent Spanish.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Ability to stay abreast of current affairs to process and distill large amounts of information.
- Highly organized and deadline oriented.
- Ability to hone and maintain a consistent written voice across projects.
- Passion for transforming public education and radically improving academic outcomes for all children, particularly children of color and from underserved communities is a must.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
Parent Revolution is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and “Deputy Director of Communications and Strategy” in the subject line.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Parent Revolution offers an excellent benefits package, including health, dental, vision, 403b, life, and disability.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
Must be proficient in both English and Spanish.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED